Sunday, November 18, 2012


Sunday, November 18, 2012

Here is a picture of the raccoon dog that I talked about in my last entry. It is called a tanuki!


I taught Preschool at HiRoSe in Sadowara for the last time on Thursday.  I was singing There Were Five in the Bed with them about the bears rolling over and falling off the bed and bumping their heads.  The children sang every word and did all the actions with me.  Their teachers were amazed and so was I.  It was so cute it made me want to cry!  After class they gave me presents (see the pictures below) and many hugs.  It was a great experience for me.  I am still volunteering at The American Kindergarten in Miyazaki almost every day.




I skyped with my 5th grade class from Idaho Falls on Friday morning.  It was so awesome to see them and visit with them.  They had all kinds of great questions for me.  It really made me miss them and I am looking forward to getting home on December 11th and begin teaching them again.  I have been busy learning about the culture and gathering some materials to make me a better teacher when I get home.  I told them to practice bowing (ojigi no renshu) and practice their Hirigana too!  A big shout out to Mrs. Kirkham for being such a great sensei while I’ve been gone.  I really appreciate it!

While I was on my way back to the station from Kindergarten on Friday I passed these students from Miyazaki University getting ready for a parade.  I thought their costumes were pretty good!






On Friday night we had a Korean style BBQ over at the factory.  Hong Nan and Wenji bought enough food to feed all of you.  It was fantastic.


Here is a picture of our first attempt at making meron pan.


This lady was standing in front of the station on Saturday.  You don’t often see people in traditional Japanese kimonos, but I have seen quite a few and this lady was gracious enough to let me take her picture.


We went in to the Mall on Saturday.  Scott got a hair cut for 1,000 yen.  He had to put the money in a machine as he entered the door.  Then they gave him a great haircut!  We ate dinner at an Indian restaurant and went shopping.  We got some funny Japanese things for our children’s Christmas stockings!



This is a picture I took of some desserts at one of the many bakeries.


Many people here carry an umbrella with them.  Not because of the rain, but because the sun is very dangerous!


Today after church we rode the train south to a city called Aoshima.  Ao means blue or green and shima means island.
There is a bridge that leads to the island with a shrine.  I took many pictures!  


The shallow water around the island has a geological phenomenon known as Oni no Sentakuia or Devil's washboard. Visible at low tide these perfectly straight rows of basalt rock look as if they must be remnants of something man made.  They are, however, natural formations!















Scott and I at the entrance.

The island is very beautiful.  The entire center of the island is filled with palm trees.


We found this banana tree on our way to the restroom.


Speaking of the restroom here is a picture of the men’s side.  I took this picture from well outside the restroom. This is typical of public restrooms in Japan. Don’t you just love the privacy?


There is a shrine on the island and as usual you can purchase prayers! Some of them are wooden.



Others are paper.


Some seem to be made from string.



Here is a rickshaw pulling people over the bridge to the island.

You can see this castle south of the island.


This little Japanese boy is 5 years old.


There is a cool lighthouse on the island.

The beach is made of zillions of sea shells.  I gathered up quite a few that I;m going to try to bring home to my class if I can fit them in my suitcase!

Here are just some random pictures of the shrine on the island.



                                                                                              A huge hill of sea shells!



Here is a picture of the ivy covering the outside of the station in Aoshima.


No comments:

Post a Comment